Claim Your NetID
Dartmouth's identity management system allows us to maintain secure passwords and to enable self-service password resets and enhanced security for your data and other Dartmouth network services. To enable these improvements, you need to "claim" your account. Claiming is a one-time account setup process that:
- Sets your initial password.
- Sets up your "security answers" that you will need to access VPN or reset a forgotten password for yourself, 24/7, without having to contact an IT Help Desk
- Helps protect you from invasion of privacy and unauthorized access to your scholarship, data, and research, in addition to protecting Dartmouth's computing and networking infrastructure.
You will use your NetID and the new password to log into your Dartmouth e-mail account as well as Canvas, BannerStudent, Thayer School systems, VPN, etc.
To claim your NetID:
- Visit https://claim.dartmouth.edu
- Enter the requested information (you can find your NetID at http://www.dartmouth.edu/comp/systems/netid.html).
- Click Submit.
You may be presented with a WebAuth page asking for authentication. If so, enter your NetID and current password.
- Set a new, strong password for your account.
- Click Submit.
- Select and provide answers to four security questions. These will be used to verify your identity if you should ever forget your password and need to have it reset. You may also be asked one or more security questions if Dartmouth suspects that there has been unauthorized access to your account.
- That's all!