Syncing your Dartmouth email to a personal account
- If you are copying your mail to a Gmail account, you must first:
- In a web browser, go to: https://mailsync.thayer.dartmouth.edu
- Fill out the form.
- On the left side labeled "Dartmouth account", enter your Dartmouth username in the format: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter your Dartmouth Password
- For Dartmouth Mail server, select outlook.office365.com from the drop-down
- On the right "Destination account", enter the information for your personal email account. For example, if you have a Gmail account, enter your Gmail address (eg. email@example.com)
- Enter your Google/Gmail password
- Select imap.gmail.com from the drop down destination email server.
- Once all the fields are filled out, click the green, "Sync!" button.
The sync process is quite slow. Once files actually start copying, they go around 1 message per second.
Leave the browser window open, and you should see some log messages at the bottom of the page after a while. If you no longer see updates, but there is no indication that the sync finished, then click the "Sync" button again. (Note, running the sync again, will only copy new messages. You will not get duplicates on the destination account, and the sync should start up where it left off. Both Microsoft and Google seem to limit the transfer speed, and the total amount of data that can be transferred per day. If you have a gigabytes of mail, syncing it is likely to be a long process requiring several re-syncs.)