Sending email from your Dartmouth address through Gmail
Google Mail (Gmail) can be set up to send email as if it is coming from your Dartmouth email address. It does this by passing sent mail through the Dartmouth email servers (operated by Microsoft Office365). Follow these steps to set it up:
- Log into your Gmail account and go to the Settings menu on the right (gear icon). Select "Settings".
- Click on the "Accounts and Import" tab of the settings page.
- Click, "Add another email address you own"
- In the Email address field, enter your Dartmouth email address. Click "Next Step".
- On the SMTP server screen enter the following values:
- SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
- Port: 587
- Username: (Your NetID followed by @dartmouth.edu) eg. email@example.com
- Password: Your Dartmouth Password
- Click "Add Account"
- If you get an authentication error and you are sure the credentials you types are correct, change the SMTP Server setting to outlook.office365.com . Even after this change you may have to attempt to authenticate several times. TL;DR: Just keep trying ...
- Why do you have to keep attempting to authenticate? The process often times out before Office365 can route you through its load balancing server (Google has set a very short timeout). Eventually it should get through in time, but if you really can't get through, come see the User Support team in MacLean 126 and we will help you bypass the load balancer.
- Google will send you an email to your Dartmouth email address to confirm you own it. Either click the link in the confirmation email (easier), or copy the confirmation code, and paste it into the code field.
Once you have confirmed your address, you should end up back on the "Accounts and Import" tab of your Gmail settings. Confirm that your Dartmouth address is set up and configured to send mail through smtp.office365.com
You can optionally make your Dartmouth account the default address that it used for sending mail.